Yellow-mantled Widowbird (Euplectes macroura) - HBW 15, p. 149
French: Euplecte à dos d'or
Spanish: Obispo Dorsiamarillo
Other common names: Yellow-mantled Whydah, Yellow-backed/Yellow-shouldered Widow(bird)/Whydah; Ethiopian Widowbird (macrocercus)
Taxonomy: Loxia macroura J. F. Gmelin, 1789, "Africa, in regno Whidah et ad fluvium Senegal" = Ouidah, Benin.
In captivity, has hybridized with E. ardens and E. axillaris. Proposed race intermedius (described from E shore of L Tanganyika) synonymized with nominate. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- macroura ( J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, extreme S Mali, Burkina Faso, extreme SW Niger, Ghana, Togo, Benin, and Nigeria E, discontinuously, to Cameroon, SW Chad, Central African Republic and S Sudan, S to Gabon, PRCongo, N Angola, DRCongo, Uganda, SW Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe and extreme W Mozambique.
- macrocercus ( M. H. C. Lichtenstein, 1823) - highlands of Eritrea and Ethiopia.
- conradsi ( Berger, 1908) - Ukerewe I, in L Victoria.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
left bird yellow-mantled non-breeding,right bush petronia or Russet-browed Bush-sparrow (Gymnoris dentata) female Locality Bansang, Central River Division, The Gambia (ssp macroura)
Daniêl Jimenez 28 December 2011 1 year ago 13 sec 4.2
A male in breeding plumage in a tall grassland, preening and flying away Locality Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda (ssp macrourus)
Josep del Hoyo 29 August 2006 6 years ago 25 sec 3.5
Adult male in breeding plumage perched
Locality Kabak Island, Kindia Region, Guinea (ssp macroura)
Nik Borrow 15 October 2011 1 year ago 3.7
Adult male in breeding plumage.
Locality Plzen Zoo, Plzen, Plzen Region, Czech Republic (ssp macroura)
Tomasz Doroń 24 October 2011 2 years ago 3
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana
Photo-ay 4 January 2010 3 years ago 3
- No sound recordings available yet