Yellow-browed Bulbul (Acritillas indica) - HBW 10, p. 227
French: Bulbul à sourcils d’or
Spanish: Bulbul Cejiamarillo
Other common names: Golden-browed Bulbul
Taxonomy: T[richophorus]. Indicus Jerdon, 1839, Nilgiri District, India.
Sometimes placed in genus Hypsipetes or Iole, but unique morphology and nest structure support treatment in monotypic genus. Races poorly differentiated, thought possibly to be based on age-related differences, and species sometimes considered monotypic; thorough review is necessary. Putative race intensior (from Kunjapani, in Tamil Nadu) considered indistinguishable from nominate, and synonymized with it. Three subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- icterica (Strickland, 1844) - Western Ghats (C Maharashtra S to Kerala) and Eastern Ghats (Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu), in peninsular India.
- indica (Jerdon, 1839) - SW India and Sri Lanka (except SW).
- guglielmi (Ripley, 1946) - SW Sri Lanka.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 12 videos
- 4.5 Different view... India, Nov 2009 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A front view o... India, Nov 2009 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 A bird perched... Sri Lanka, Jul 2007 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 3.7 A dorsal view ... Sri Lanka, Oct 2008 Eldert Groenewoud
- 3.5 A short view o... India, Nov 2009 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.5 views in canopy India, Dec 2012 Martin Kennewell