Yellow-billed Blue Magpie (Urocissa flavirostris) - HBW 14, p. 595
French: Pirolle à bec jaune
Spanish: Urraca Piquigualda
Other common names: Gold(en)-billed/Black-headed Magpie, Golden-billed Blue Magpie
Taxonomy: Psilorhinus flavirostris Blyth, 1846, Darjeeling, India.
Genus has sometimes been subsumed in Cissa, but three members of latter seem to form a distinctive group. Present species forms a superspecies with U. caerulea and U. erythroryncha. Race cucullata intergrades with nominate in C Nepal. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- cucullata Gould, 1861 - N Pakistan (from Hazara) E through NW India to Nepal.
- flavirostris ( Blyth, 1846) - Nepal E to NE India and N Myanmar, also in adjacent S China (extreme SE Xizang).
- schaeferi Sick, 1939 - W Myanmar (Chin Hills).
- robini Delacour & Jabouille, 1930 - extreme N Vietnam (NW Tonkin).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird looking for food in herbivore dung. Locality Himachal Pradesh, India (ssp cucullata)
Carmelo López 29 May 2010 2 years ago 11 sec 3.6
A Bird on a tree. At around 25 seconds, an Eurasian jay will attack this bird. Locality Uttarakhand, India
Soumyadeep Chatterjee 97 22 May 2011 1 year ago 35 sec 2.8
- No sound recordings available yet