Yellow-billed Blue Magpie (Urocissa flavirostris) - HBW 14, p. 595
French: Pirolle à bec jaune
Spanish: Urraca Piquigualda
Other common names: Gold(en)-billed/Black-headed Magpie, Golden-billed Blue Magpie
Taxonomy: Psilorhinus flavirostris Blyth, 1846, Darjeeling, India.
Genus has sometimes been subsumed in Cissa, but three members of latter seem to form a distinctive group. Present species forms a superspecies with U. caerulea and U. erythroryncha. Race cucullata intergrades with nominate in C Nepal. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- cucullata Gould, 1861 - N Pakistan (from Hazara) E through NW India to Nepal.
- flavirostris ( Blyth, 1846) - Nepal E to NE India and N Myanmar, also in adjacent S China (extreme SE Xizang).
- schaeferi Sick, 1939 - W Myanmar (Chin Hills).
- robini Delacour & Jabouille, 1930 - extreme N Vietnam (NW Tonkin).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird looking for food in herbivore dung. Locality Himachal Pradesh, India (ssp cucullata)
Carmelo López 29 May 2010 3 years ago 11 sec 4
A Bird on a tree. At around 25 seconds, an Eurasian jay will attack this bird. Locality Uttarakhand, India
Soumyadeep Chatterjee 97 22 May 2011 2 years ago 35 sec 3.2
A bird on the ground
Locality Bhutan (ssp flavirostris)
Arthur Grosset 4 April 2008 3 years ago 4
Yellow Billed Blue magpie. A rare sighting.
Locality The Misty Mountains Retreat, Jhaltola, Pithoragarh District, Uttarakhand, India
Madhur@misty 15 June 2013 22 weeks ago 3.6
Common bird seen in pair and feeding the fledged young ones
Locality Jibhi, Banjar Valley, Kullu District, Himachal Pradesh, India
jugal Tiwari 27 May 2013 24 weeks ago 3.6
A bird perched on a branch.
Locality Kullu District, Himachal Pradesh, India (ssp cucullata)
Carmelo López 27 May 2010 1 year ago 3.3
- No sound recordings available yet