Yellow-billed Barbet (Trachyphonus purpuratus) - HBW 7, p. 175
French: Barbican pourpré
Spanish: Barbudo Piquigualdo
Taxonomy: Trachyphonus lurpuratus [sic] J. Verreaux and E. Verreaux, 1851, Gabon.
Often placed in monotypic genus Trachylaemus, but morphology, plumage, behaviour and some vocalizations similar to those of T. vaillantii, which thus connects present species to T. erythrocephalus and others. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- goffinii (Schlegel, 1863) - Sierra Leone E to Ghana-Togo border.
- togoensis (Reichenow, 1892) - extreme E Ghana to SW Nigeria.
- purpuratus J. Verreaux & E. Verreaux, 1851 - SE Nigeria E to S Central African Republic, S to N Angola and C Zaire.
- elgonensis Sharpe, 1891 - S Sudan and E Zaire E to W Kenya.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Two birds in a tree, one of them flies away Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda (ssp elgonensis)
Josep del Hoyo 2 September 2006 6 years ago 51 sec 4.2
A bird in a tree, looking around and flying away Locality Buhoma, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda (ssp elgonensis)
Josep del Hoyo 8 September 2006 6 years ago 28 sec 3.8
A bird in a tree, opening the beak and flying away Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda (ssp elgonensis)
Josep del Hoyo 2 September 2006 6 years ago 50 sec 3.7
Several shots of a bird in a tree Locality Central Region, Ghana (ssp goffinii)
Juan Sanabria 1 November 2009 3 years ago 39 sec 2.8
A couple at their nest in a tree hollow Locality Central Region, Ghana (ssp goffinii)
Juan Sanabria 1 November 2009 3 years ago 48 sec 2.7