Yellow-bellied Siskin (Carduelis xanthogastra) - HBW 15, p. 555
French: Chardonneret à ventre jaune
Spanish: Jilguero Ventriamarillo
Taxonomy: Chrysomitris xanthogastra du Bus de Gisignies, 1855, Ocaña, Colombia.
Has recently been proposed that this species be placed in genus Spinus or Sporagra, and revision may be justifiable as phylogenetic analysis indicates that South American siskins are only distantly related to the two Holarctic species (C. spinus and C. pinus), but comprehensive review of all species currently included within present genus is required in order to determine true relationships. Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- xanthogastra ( du Bus de Gisignies, 1855) - mountains of Costa Rica and W Panama (W Chiriqui), Colombia, NW & N Venezuela and NW & SW Ecuador.
- stejnegeri ( Sharpe, 1888) - extreme SE Peru (E Puno) and W Bolivia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.2 Male perched o... Colombia, Feb 2013 Daniel Avendaño
- 3.9 Perched male Costa Rica, Mar 2010 Chris and Megan Perkins
- 3.9 Male perched i... Panama, Apr 2013 hawk
- 3.8 Perched female Costa Rica, Mar 2010 Chris and Megan Perkins
- 2.9 on a branch Colombia, oleicfrisbee
- 2.8 Bird perched o... Colombia, Dec 2012 Daniel Avendaño
- 2.8 Male searching... Costa Rica, Feb 2013 Róger Rodríguez
- 1.8 Male perched i... Venezuela, Nov 2008 Mikko Pyhälä