Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator) - HBW 13, p. 793
French: Pie-grièche à tête rousse
Spanish: Alcaudón Común
Other common names: Woodchat; Eastern Woodchat Shrike (niloticus)
Taxonomy: Lanius Senator Linnaeus, 1758, “Indiis”; error = Rhine valley, Germany.
Geographical variation partly clinal, amount of white at tail base increasing from W to E. Validity of race rutilans has been questioned; possibly better merged with nominate. Proposed race hensii (from Sicily) synonymized with nominate. Four subspecies generally recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- senator Linnaeus, 1758 - breeds patchily from N Spain and C & S France (mainly Languedoc-Roussillon and Côte d’Azur) E to Sicily and Greece (including Corfu, Crete and most bigger islands in Aegean Sea), coastal Balkans E to S Bulgaria and W Turkey, and also locally and irregularly in Switzerland, SW Germany (upper Rhine Valley, foothills of Swabian Mts, Saarland), SE Poland and SW Slovakia; non-breeding W & C Africa.
- rutilans Temminck, 1839 - breeds Iberian Peninsula (except N Spain) and NW Africa, from Moroccan Atlantic coast E to NW & NE Libya, S to S slopes of Anti-Atlas and Middle and High Atlas; non-breeding W Africa.
- badius Hartlaub, 1854 - breeds islands in W Mediterranean (Balearics, Capraia, Corsica, Sardinia); non-breeding W Africa.
- niloticus (Bonaparte, 1853) - breeds Cyprus, S & E Turkey, Levant and N Iraq (Kurdistan) E to Iran (Zagros Mts; possibly also SE to Baluchistan and in Elburz Mts); non-breeding E Africa and SW Arabia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 60 videos
A male perched on a dead trunk looking around. Locality La Parrilla, Monfragüe National Park, Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Pierandrea Brichetti 7 May 2015 48 weeks ago 27 sec 5
A female with moulting plumage drinking in a stream. Locality Castuera, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Josep del Hoyo 28 July 2014 1 year ago 41 sec 5
A juvenile drinking in a stream, and another one landing next to it. Locality Castuera, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Josep del Hoyo 28 July 2014 1 year ago 30 sec 4.8
A female with moulting plumage taking a bath in a stream. Locality Castuera, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Josep del Hoyo 28 July 2014 1 year ago 12 sec 4.8
A female with moulting plumage drinking and taking a bath in a stream. Locality Castuera, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Josep del Hoyo 28 July 2014 1 year ago 54 sec 4.8
An adult on a branch.A close-view of this bird Locality Guadalajara, Castile-La Mancha, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Javier Ortas 16 July 2006 7 years ago 33 sec 4.6
PhotosSee all 72 photos
Female perched on a bush
Locality Tata, Guelmim-Es Semara Region, Morocco
Cedric Mroczko 12 March 2011 1 year ago 4.7
Locality Arakhiya Farm, Al Rayyan, Qatar (ssp niloticus)
John A Thompson 22 March 2013 3 years ago 4.6
A male perched on a dead trunk.
Locality La Parrilla, Monfragüe National Park, Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Pierandrea Brichetti 7 May 2015 29 weeks ago 4.5
Woodchat Shrike on fence
Locality Extremadura, Spain
W.H.Schulenburg 22 May 2015 42 weeks ago 4.5
A front view of a male singing
Locality Jandari Lake, Kvemo Kartli Region , Georgia (ssp niloticus)
Lars Petersson 5 May 2013 2 years ago 4.5
Locality Kotu Creek, Kotu, Banjul, The Gambia
Paul Cools 6 February 2012 3 years ago 4.5