Woodchat Shrike (Lanius senator) - HBW 13, p. 793
French: Pie-grièche à tête rousse
Spanish: Alcaudón Común
Other common names: Woodchat; Eastern Woodchat Shrike (niloticus)
Taxonomy: Lanius Senator Linnaeus, 1758, “Indiis”; error = Rhine valley, Germany.
Geographical variation partly clinal, amount of white at tail base increasing from W to E. Validity of race rutilans has been questioned; possibly better merged with nominate. Proposed race hensii (from Sicily) synonymized with nominate. Four subspecies generally recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- senator Linnaeus, 1758 - breeds patchily from N Spain and C & S France (mainly Languedoc-Roussillon and Côte d’Azur) E to Sicily and Greece (including Corfu, Crete and most bigger islands in Aegean Sea), coastal Balkans E to S Bulgaria and W Turkey, and also locally and irregularly in Switzerland, SW Germany (upper Rhine Valley, foothills of Swabian Mts, Saarland), SE Poland and SW Slovakia; non-breeding W & C Africa.
- rutilans Temminck, 1839 - breeds Iberian Peninsula (except N Spain) and NW Africa, from Moroccan Atlantic coast E to NW & NE Libya, S to S slopes of Anti-Atlas and Middle and High Atlas; non-breeding W Africa.
- badius Hartlaub, 1854 - breeds islands in W Mediterranean (Balearics, Capraia, Corsica, Sardinia); non-breeding W Africa.
- niloticus (Bonaparte, 1853) - breeds Cyprus, S & E Turkey, Levant and N Iraq (Kurdistan) E to Iran (Zagros Mts; possibly also SE to Baluchistan and in Elburz Mts); non-breeding E Africa and SW Arabia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 40 videos
A close up of a juvenile, looking around Locality María de Huerva, Zaragoza, Aragón, Spain (ssp rutilans)
Jesús Laborda 16 July 2007 5 years ago 50 sec 4.5
An adult on a branch.A close-view of this bird Locality Guadalajara, Castile-La Mancha, Spain
Javier Ortas 16 July 2006 4 years ago 33 sec 4.5
one bird perching Locality Kotu Creek, Kotu, Banjul, The Gambia
Daniêl Jimenez 22 December 2011 1 year ago 40 sec 4.3
A bird on a blackberry-bush Locality Madrid, Spain
Javier Ortas 26 April 2006 4 years ago 30 sec 4.2
A female with its first juvenile plumage, perched on barbed wire Locality Sululta Plains, Ethiopia
Josep del Hoyo 24 November 2005 7 years ago 35 sec 4.2
looking around Locality Kotu Creek, Kotu, Banjul, The Gambia
Daniêl Jimenez 22 December 2011 1 year ago 9 sec 4
PhotosSee all 38 photos
Locality Arakhiya Farm, Al Rayyan, Qatar
John A Thompson 22 March 2013 12 weeks ago 4.6
Locality Valley of Tears, Golan Heights, Israel
Lior Kislev 13 April 2011 2 years ago 4.4
A bird on a bush.
Locality Beit She'an Valley, Israel
Lior Kislev 16 September 2010 2 years ago 4.4
Locality Kotu Creek, Kotu, Banjul, The Gambia
Paul Cools 6 February 2012 29 weeks ago 4.4
standing on an overhead cable
Locality Al Ruwais, Al Shamal, Qatar
John A Thompson 21 September 2009 3 years ago 4.3
Locality Kotu, Banjul, The Gambia
Paul Cools 4 February 2012 24 weeks ago 4.3