Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) - HBW 9, p. 360
French: Moucherolle des saules
Spanish: Mosquero Saucero
Other common names: Traill’s Flycatcher
Taxonomy: Muscicapa traillii Audubon, 1828, Arkansas River, USA.
Formerly considered conspecific with E. alnorum. Geographical variation in plumage, wing morphology and vocalizations probably clinal, becoming browner overall in W and paler in more arid environments, and racial boundaries not well defined; sometimes treated as monotypic. Described race campestris (from North Dakota, in N USA) synonymized with nominate. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- adastus Oberholser, 1932 - breeds SW Canada (S British Columbia) S in USA to E California (E of Sierra Nevada) and in Great Basin and Rockies; winters probably mainly W Mexico S to Panama.
- traillii (Audubon, 1828) - breeds S parts of Canada (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec) and NC & NE USA; winters SW Mexico S to Panama and possibly extreme NW Colombia, also rarely to NE Ecuador.
- brewsteri Oberholser, 1918 - breeds extreme SW Canada (SW British Columbia) S, W of Cascades, to SW California (W of Sierra Nevada); winters probably mainly W Mexico S to Panama.
- extimus A. R. Phillips, 1948 - breeds SW USA; presumably winters W Mexico.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Willow Flycatcher singing on territory in a Connecticut salt marsh. ©JimZipp.com 2011 Locality Connecticut, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
wildbirdvideos 16 June 2011 2 years ago 31 sec 4.7
A bird singing from a wire Locality Cranesville Swamp, West Virginia, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
Robert Schaefer 23 May 2007 5 years ago 25 sec 4.6
An adult perched on a branch Locality California, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Don DesJardin 31 August 2004 6 years ago 13 sec 4.5
An adult on a dead branch and flying away Locality California, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Don DesJardin 31 August 2004 6 years ago 16 sec 4.1
A bird singing, then flying away Locality Cranesville Swamp, West Virginia, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
Robert Schaefer 23 May 2007 5 years ago 27 sec 3.9
A bird perched on top of a trunk and flying to a tree. Locality Campbell Valley Regional Park, Langley, British Columbia, Canada (ssp brewsteri)
Josep del Hoyo 13 August 2012 1 year ago 24 sec 3.5
Individual perched in a tree.
Locality Point Pelee National Park, Leamington, Ontario, Canada (ssp traillii)
Miriam Bauman 15 May 2010 2 years ago 3.9
Adult high in tree
Locality Olympic National Park, Washington State, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Photo-ay 28 July 2008 3 years ago 3.5
Pacific Slope Flycatcher on Briones Trail Fenceline
Locality Walnut Creek Open Spaces, Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, California, USA (United States) (ssp Pacific Slope Flycatcher)
Ethan Winning 15 July 2013 19 weeks ago 3.4
Fairly common transient migrant. A single bird perching at Club Campestre on 10 August 2013 (IMC).
Locality Club Campestre Juarez, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua State, Mexico (Northern)
Israel Moreno Contreras 10 August 2013 1 week ago ADDED LAST MONTH 3.3
Individual on edge of water.
Locality Minnesota, USA (United States)
Aaron Pietsch 2 years ago 2.3