Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) - HBW 9, p. 360
French: Moucherolle des saules
Spanish: Mosquero Saucero
Other common names: Traill’s Flycatcher
Taxonomy: Muscicapa traillii Audubon, 1828, Arkansas River, USA.
Formerly considered conspecific with E. alnorum. Geographical variation in plumage, wing morphology and vocalizations probably clinal, becoming browner overall in W and paler in more arid environments, and racial boundaries not well defined; sometimes treated as monotypic. Described race campestris (from North Dakota, in N USA) synonymized with nominate. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- adastus Oberholser, 1932 - breeds SW Canada (S British Columbia) S in USA to E California (E of Sierra Nevada) and in Great Basin and Rockies; winters probably mainly W Mexico S to Panama.
- traillii (Audubon, 1828) - breeds S parts of Canada (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec) and NC & NE USA; winters SW Mexico S to Panama and possibly extreme NW Colombia, also rarely to NE Ecuador.
- brewsteri Oberholser, 1918 - breeds extreme SW Canada (SW British Columbia) S, W of Cascades, to SW California (W of Sierra Nevada); winters probably mainly W Mexico S to Panama.
- extimus A. R. Phillips, 1948 - breeds SW USA; presumably winters W Mexico.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Willow Flycatcher singing on territory in a Connecticut salt marsh. ©JimZipp.com 2011 Locality Connecticut, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
wildbirdvideos 16 June 2011 1 year ago 31 sec 4.7
A bird singing from a wire Locality Cranesville Swamp, West Virginia, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
Robert Schaefer 23 May 2007 4 years ago 25 sec 4.6
An adult perched on a branch Locality California, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Don DesJardin 31 August 2004 6 years ago 13 sec 4.3
A bird singing, then flying away Locality Cranesville Swamp, West Virginia, USA (United States) (ssp traillii)
Robert Schaefer 23 May 2007 4 years ago 27 sec 3.9
An adult on a dead branch and flying away Locality California, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Don DesJardin 31 August 2004 6 years ago 16 sec 3.8
A bird perched on top of a trunk and flying to a tree. Locality Campbell Valley Regional Park, Langley, British Columbia, Canada (ssp brewsteri)
Josep del Hoyo 13 August 2012 32 weeks ago 24 sec 3.5
Individual perched in a tree.
Locality Point Pelee National Park, Leamington, Ontario, Canada (ssp traillii)
Miriam Bauman 15 May 2010 1 year ago 3.9
Adult high in tree
Locality Olympic National Park, Washington State, USA (United States) (ssp brewsteri)
Photo-ay 28 July 2008 3 years ago 3.5
Individual on edge of water.
Locality Minnesota, USA (United States)
Aaron Pietsch 1 year ago 2.3