White-throated Shrike-tanager (Lanio leucothorax) - HBW 16, p. 183
French: Tangara à gorge blanche
Spanish: Tangara Gorjiblanca
Taxonomy: Lanio leucothorax Salvin, 1865, Tucurrique, Costa Rica.
May form a superspecies with L. aurantius, and in the past often treated as conspecific. Recent molecular data indicate that the divergence between the two is only 0·9%; their geographical distributions are discrete (although approach each other in Honduras), and the two differ mainly in some plumage characteristics; they perhaps represent a recent speciation event combined with rapid plumage divergence. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucothorax Salvin, 1865 - Caribbean slope from Honduras (Olancho) S to E Costa Rica (S to Limón, also locally on W slope in Guanacaste).
- reversus Bangs & Griscom, 1932 - Las Agujas (NW Puntarenas), in W Costa Rica.
- ictus Kennard & J. L. Peters, 1927 - lowlands and foothills around Almirante Bay (NW Panama).
- melanopygius Salvin & Godman, 1883 - Pacific slope from W Costa Rica (Puntarenas S of entrance to Gulf of Nicoya) S to W Panama (Chiriquí, both slopes in Veraguas, and foothills on Caribbean slope of W Coclé).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No sound recordings available yet