White-throated Canary (Serinus albogularis) - HBW 15, p. 530
French: Serin à gorge blanche
Spanish: Serín Gorjiblanco
Other common names: White-throated Seedeater
Taxonomy: Crithagra albogularis A. Smith, 1833, near Piquetberg, Western Cape Province, South Africa.
Proposed race hewitti, described from Kleinpoort farm (Albany, in Cape Province), in South Africa, synonymized with nominate. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- crocopygius ( Sharpe, 1871) - SW Angola and NW Namibia.
- sordahlae ( Friedmann, 1932) - S Namibia and NW South Africa (W Northern Cape).
- orangensis ( Roberts, 1937) - N South Africa (S North West Province and W Free State).
- albogularis ( A. Smith, 1833) - coastal W & SW South Africa (E to C Eastern Cape).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Lateral view of bird sitting on a pile of stones
Locality De Hoop Nature Reserve, Western Cape Province, South Africa (ssp albogularis)
Mikko Pyhälä 20 March 2015 48 weeks ago 3.7
Feeding at close range
Locality Kagga Kamma Private Game Reserve, Western Cape Province, South Africa (ssp albogularis)
Loutjie Steenberg 20 November 2010 5 years ago 3.7
Looking for seeds
Locality Tankwa Karoo National Park, Northern Cape Province, South Africa (ssp albogularis)
Luis Mario Arce 26 October 2014 46 weeks ago 3.5
An adult standing on the ground.
Locality Augrabies Falls National Park, Northern Cape Province, South Africa (ssp sordahlae)
Carmelo López 1 December 2010 5 years ago 3.2
Adult bird perched
Locality Velddrif, Western Cape Province, South Africa (ssp albogularis)
Loutjie Steenberg 24 December 2010 5 years ago 1.9