White-spotted Flufftail (Sarothrura pulchra) - HBW 3, p. 143
French: Râle perlé
Spanish: Polluela Pulcra
Taxonomy: Crex Pulchra J. E. Gray, 1829, Sierra Leone.
Genus sometimes merged into Coturnicops, which is more likely to be a derivative of Sarothrura stock. Birds of W Cameroon highlands formerly awarded race tibatiensis, but now reckoned to be synonymous with nominate; batesi has sometimes been considered synonymous with either zenkeri or centralis. Four subspecies normally recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- pulchra (J. E. Gray, 1829) - Gambia and S Senegal E to SW Niger, Nigeria (except extreme SE) and N & C Cameroon; possibly extreme SW Mali.
- zenkeri Neumann, 1908 - extreme SE Nigeria, coastal Cameroon and Gabon.
- batesi Bannerman, 1922 - interior S Cameroon.
- centralis Neumann, 1908 - Congo and N Angola E through Zaire to extreme S Sudan, W Kenya extreme NW Tanzania and extreme NW Zambia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No sound recordings available yet