White-eyed Foliage-gleaner (Automolus leucophthalmus) - HBW 8, p. 346
French: Anabate aux yeux blancs
Spanish: Ticotico Ojiblanco
Taxonomy: Anabates leucophthalmus Wied, 1821, Rio Cachoeira, Bahia, Brazil.
Forms a superspecies with A. infuscatus, as suggested by voice, plumage pattern and biogeography. Race lammi more similar vocally to race paraensis of that species than to other races of present species. Race sulphurascens varies clinally, with populations in more humid areas darker and those in drier interior paler. Proposed race bangsi, from Bahia (Brazil), regarded as a synonym of nominate, following initial confusion over type locality of latter. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- lammi J. T. Zimmer, 1947 - E Brazil (Paraíba, Pernambuco).
- leucophthalmus (Wied, 1821) - E Brazil (E Bahia).
- sulphurascens (M. H. K. Lichtenstein, 1823) - SC & SE Brazil (E Mato Grosso, S Goiás and S Bahia S to Rio Grande do Sul), E Paraguay and NE Argentina (Misiones).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 8 photos
- 4.2 It was taking ... Brazil, Nov 2010 Bruno Piato
- 4 It was taking ... Brazil, Nov 2010 Bruno Piato
- 4 Bird in the un... Argentina, Jul 2012 Luca Boscain
- 3.8 Bird on branch Argentina, Aug 2008 Aleix Comas
- 3.6 It was taking ... Brazil, Nov 2010 Bruno Piato
- 3.5 A bird perched Brazil, Nov 2008 Arthur Grosset
Very meek, allowed approximation. Locality Nova Veneza, Santa Catarina State, Brazil
João Just 21 September 2012 34 weeks ago 4.5
Two types of call, the same male. Background is heard voice of Howler Monkey. Locality Cantareira State park, Guarulhos, São Paulo State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 22 August 1997 44 weeks ago 4
Calls from a bird responding to playback Locality Caraça Monastery, Caraça National Park, Minas Gerais State, Brazil
Andrew_Davis 1 July 2004 3 years ago 4
Click to play
Male singing in the Atlantic Rainforest. Locality Serra do Japi, São Paulo State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 10 December 2005 40 weeks ago 0