White-browed Bulbul (Pycnonotus luteolus) - HBW 10, p. 191
French: Bulbul à sourcils blancs
Spanish: Bulbul Cejiblanco
Taxonomy: Haematornis luteolus Lesson, 1841, Mumbai, India.
Genus as currently constituted probably polyphyletic; in-depth analysis of morphology, voice, behaviour and genetics required to redefine its limits. Present species forms a superspecies with P. goiavier; affinities to other members of genus remain to be clarified. Proposed race flavirictus (Tamil Nadu, in S India) considered indistinguishable from nominate. Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- luteolus (Lesson, 1841) - peninsular India (Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and S West Bengal S to Tamil Nadu); possibly also in Dry Zone of Sri Lanka.
- insulae Whistler & Kinnear, 1932 - Sri Lanka (with possible exception of Dry Zone).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.2 A bird feeding... Sri Lanka, Jul 2007 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 4.1 A close-up of ... Sri Lanka, Jul 2007 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 3.5 Two birds feed... Sri Lanka, Jul 2007 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 3.3 A bird perched... India, Dec 2009 Josep del Hoyo
- 2.8 Two birds perc... India, Oct 1997 Tom Tarrant
PhotosSee all 19 photos
White-browed Bulbul's pair during territory breach by other White-browed Bulbul.... Locality Gujarat, India
deomurari 20 February 2010 3 years ago 4