White-bellied Kingfisher (Alcedo leucogaster) - HBW 6, p. 233
French: Martin-pêcheur à ventre blanc
Spanish: Martín Pescador Ventriblanco
Taxonomy: Halcyon leucogaster Fraser, 1843, Clarence, Bioko (Fernando Póo).
Closely related to A. cristata and A. vintsioides, and sometimes placed with them in a separate genus Corythornis; closely related also to A. nais and A. thomensis, either or both of which have often been treated as conspecific with present species. Population from S Nigeria to N Angola formerly separated as race batesi, but appears indistinguishable from nominate. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- bowdleri Neumann, 1908 - S Mauritania (Guidimaka), SW Mali (Mandingo Mts), and Guinea to S Ghana.
- leucogaster (Fraser, 1843) - SW Nigeria to S Cameroon, Bioko I (Fernando Póo), Gabon and NW Angola.
- leopoldi (Dubois, 1905) - Congo Basin in S Central African Republic and from Zaire E to S Uganda (Sango Bay, Mabira Forest).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
several views of an adult at different perches, catches a fish, and finally poohs Locality Nkwanda, Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
Martin Kennewell 10 December 2010 2 years ago 41 sec 3.4
Close up of perched bird Locality Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
mark sutton 2 years ago 34 sec 3
Locality Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
Nik Borrow 23 April 2012 51 weeks ago 3.7
Ringed in the forest at the Epulu research station.
Locality Epulu, Ituri Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp leopoldi)
Tommy Pedersen 13 July 1991 1 year ago 2
- No sound recordings available yet