White-bellied Kingfisher (Alcedo leucogaster) - HBW 6, p. 233
French: Martin-pêcheur à ventre blanc
Spanish: Martín Pescador Ventriblanco
Taxonomy: Halcyon leucogaster Fraser, 1843, Clarence, Bioko (Fernando Póo).
Closely related to A. cristata and A. vintsioides, and sometimes placed with them in a separate genus Corythornis; closely related also to A. nais and A. thomensis, either or both of which have often been treated as conspecific with present species. Population from S Nigeria to N Angola formerly separated as race batesi, but appears indistinguishable from nominate. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- bowdleri Neumann, 1908 - S Mauritania (Guidimaka), SW Mali (Mandingo Mts), and Guinea to S Ghana.
- leucogaster (Fraser, 1843) - SW Nigeria to S Cameroon, Bioko I (Fernando Póo), Gabon and NW Angola.
- leopoldi (Dubois, 1905) - Congo Basin in S Central African Republic and from Zaire E to S Uganda (Sango Bay, Mabira Forest).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
several views of an adult at different perches, catches a fish, and finally poohs Locality Nkwanda, Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
Martin Kennewell 10 December 2010 2 years ago 41 sec 3.4
Close up of perched bird Locality Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
mark sutton 2 years ago 34 sec 3
Locality Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana (ssp bowdleri)
Nik Borrow 23 April 2012 1 year ago 3.7
Ringed in the forest at the Epulu research station.
Locality Epulu, Ituri Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp leopoldi)
Tommy Pedersen 13 July 1991 2 years ago 2.2
- No sound recordings available yet