Western Violet-backed Sunbird (Anthreptes longuemarei) - HBW 13, p. 251
French: Souimanga violet
Spanish: Suimanga Violeta
Other common names: (African) Violet-backed/Blue/Plum-coloured/Longuemare’s Sunbird; Uganda Violet-backed Sunbird (haussarum)
Taxonomy: Cinnyris longuemarei Lesson, 1833, “Senegambia superior” = Senegal.
Forms a superspecies with A. orientalis, A. neglectus and A. aurantius. Race haussarum sometimes included within nominate. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- longuemarei (Lesson, 1833) - Senegal S to Guinea-Bissau and E to N Sierra Leone.
- haussarum Neumann, 1906 - E Guinea E to N Cameroon, Central African Republic, S Sudan, N DRCongo and N & W Uganda.
- angolensis Neumann, 1906 - S PRCongo, SW & SE DRCongo, Angola, Zambia, Malawi W of Rift Valley, and SW Tanzania.
- nyassae Neumann, 1906 - SE Tanzania (S from Dar es Salaam), Malawi E of Rift Valley, N Mozambique and E Zimbabwe.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A female on a twig
Locality Ngaoundaba Ranch, Ngaoundéré, Adamawa Province, Cameroon
Tadeusz Stawarczyk 13 February 2012 2 years ago 3.5
Assumed by self to be a young male.
Locality Balaba Nature Camp, Gunjur, Western Division, The Gambia
M P Goodey 1 October 2007 3 years ago 3.5
Male perched and highlighted against sky.
Locality Mungari Camp, Coutada 11, Marromeu Complex, Sofala Province, Mozambique (ssp nyassae)
buchert 25 September 2014 12 weeks ago 2
A frontal view of a perched bird.
Locality Mole National Park, Northern Region, Ghana
Ken Havard 1 December 2009 4 years ago 2
- No sound recordings available yet