Tullberg's Woodpecker (Campethera tullbergi) - HBW 7, p. 463
French: Pic de Tullberg
Spanish: Pito de Tullberg
Other common names: Fine-banded Woodpecker (taeniolaema/hausburgi)
Taxonomy: Campothera [sic] Tullbergi Sjöstedt, 1892, Cameroon.
Distinctive E African races taeniolaema and hausburgi were formerly considered to form a separate species, and wide geographical separation suggests this might be more appropriate; close structural similarity, however, supports conspecific treatment. Proposed races bansoensis and wellsi (Banso Mts, W Cameroon) and insularis (Bioko) are indistinguishable from nominate; barakae (mountains of E Zaire) inseparable from taeniolaema. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- tullbergi Sjöstedt, 1892 - SE Nigeria (Obudu Plateau), W Cameroon and Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- taeniolaema Reichenow & Neumann, 1895 - extreme E Zaire and SW & E Uganda to W Kenyan highlands, S to W Rwanda, Burundi and extreme W Tanzania (Mt Mahari).
- hausburgi Sharpe, 1900 - Kenya E of Rift Valley, also extreme N Tanzania (Loliondo).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
male feeding on branch, including hanging upside down Locality Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda (ssp taeniolaema)
Martin Kennewell 2 June 2004 1 year ago 20 sec 3.4
- No sound recordings available yet