Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) - HBW 7, p. 270
French: Toucan toco
Spanish: Tucán Toco
Other common names: Giant Toucan
Taxonomy: Ramphastos Toco P. L. S. Müller, 1776, Cayenne.
Distinctive, with no very close relatives. Belongs to the so-called “croaking group” of Ramphastos species, which also includes R. dicolorus, R. sulfuratus, R. brevis and R. vitellinus. Race albogularis poorly differentiated. Two subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- toco P. L. S. Müller, 1776 - the Guianas and NE Brazil, S coastally to Pará, up Amazon W to Manaus, including large lower tributaries; SE Peru.
- albogularis Cabanis, 1862 - Bolivia and C Brazil (Mato Grosso and Piauí) S to Argentina (Tucumán, Santa Fe) and SE Brazil (SE Rio Grande do Sul).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 36 photos
- 3 A Toco Toucan ... Brazil, Nov 2009 Fran Trabalon
- 3 Portrait of an... Spain, Aug 2010 gemma aznar
- 3 Toco Toucan (R... Germany, May 2013 Elias Neideck
- 2.8 A bird perched... Brazil, Nov 2011 Carmelo López
- 2.8 Adult perched ... Brazil, Jun 2011 Jerdickens
- 2.8 Free Toco touc... Paraguay, Oct 2011 Ivana Urízar