Tepui Whitestart (Myioborus castaneocapilla) - HBW 15, p. 781
French: Paruline des tépuis
Spanish: Candelita de Tepuí
Other common names: Tepui Redstart
Taxonomy: Setophaga castaneocapilla Cabanis, 1848, Roraima, 7000 feet [c. 2130 m], Venezuela.
Forms a superspecies with M. cardonai and M. albifacies, and M. pariae presumably also part of same group. Formerly considered conspecific with M. brunniceps, but the two differ in their songs and are widely separated geographically; treatment as separate species supported by recent phylogenetic study, which suggested that close plumage similarities between the two may be due to retention of ancestral traits, rather than to genetic similarity. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- castaneocapilla ( Cabanis, 1848) - tepuis in SE Venezuela (Gran Sabana region of Bolívar) and in adjacent parts of Guyana and N Brazil.
- duidae Chapman, 1929 - Cerro Jáua (in S Bolívar) and Cerros Parú, Huachamacari and Duida (in C Amazonas), in S Venezuela.
- maguirei Phelps, Sr & Phelps, Jr, 1961 - Cerro de la Neblina, in extreme S Amazonas (S Venezuela).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet