Tawny Eagle (Aquila rapax) - HBW 2, p. 193
French: Aigle ravisseur
Spanish: Aguila Rapaz
Taxonomy: Falco rapax Temminck, 1828, South Africa.
Forms superspecies with A. nipalensis, and sometimes considered conspecific. Race vindhiana has been considered separate species, but limited differences do not support this. Three subspecies normally recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- vindhiana Franklin, 1831 - Pakistan, India, and S Nepal; possibly also Burma.
- belisarius (Levaillant, 1850) - Morocco and Algeria; S Arabia and tropical Africa S to N Zaire and N Kenya.
- rapax (Temminck, 1828) - S Kenya and S Zaire S to South Africa and W to Angola and Namibia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 26 videos
- 4.7 A bird on top ... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.5 An immature in... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.4 A bird in a tr... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.4 A bird perched... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.3 A bird sat in ... Ethiopia, Nov 2004 Kim Tarsey
- 4.3 A bird on top ... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
PhotosSee all 59 photos
- 4.5 Bird on a bran... South Afri..., Sep 2005 Roland Bischoff
- 4.2 sharad agrawal... India, Jan 2011 Sharad Agrawal
- 4.2 I was told thi... South Afri..., Aug 2010 Glenda Rees
- 4 resident India, May 2010 jugal Tiwari
- 4 Dark morph India, Jan 2010 Vaibhav Mishra
- 4 Possibly a blo... South Afri..., Aug 2010 Glenda Rees
- No sound recordings available yet