Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularia) - HBW 3, p. 513
French: Chevalier grivelé
Spanish: Andarríos Maculado
Taxonomy: Tringa macularia Linnaeus, 1766, Pennsylvania.
Sometimes placed in genus Tringa. Occasionally considered conspecific with A. hypoleucos. Some authors have recognized two subspecies, with rava (W North America) and nominate (E North America), but generally considered invalid. Monotypic.
Distribution: Alaska across Canada to Newfoundland, S to SC California, N Texas and North Carolina. Winters from S USA through Central America and West Indies to South America S to S Brazil; in most years, also Galapagos.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 48 videos
- 4.8 A bird walking... Suriname, Apr 2011 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 4.8 A bird in basi... USA (Unite..., Jan 2009 Don DesJardin
- 4.8 A juvenile for... USA (Unite..., Oct 2013 Don DesJardin
- 4.7 An Adult (dark... USA (Unite..., Oct 2013 Don DesJardin
- 4.6 An adult molti... USA (Unite..., Aug 2013 Don DesJardin
- 4.5 An adult bird ... USA (Unite..., Oct 2007 Don DesJardin