Speckled Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus scolopaceus) - HBW 7, p. 182
French: Barbion grivelé
Spanish: Barbudito Escolopáceo
Other common names: Spectacled Tinkerbird/Tinkerbarbet
Taxonomy: Xylobucco scolopaceus Bonaparte, 1850, Ashanti, Ghana.
No close relatives. Forms described as aloysii from Kenya and Uganda and flavior from N Angola considered synonyms of flavisquamatus. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- scolopaceus (Bonaparte, 1850) - Sierra Leone and SE Guinea E to S Nigeria.
- stellatus (Jardine & Fraser, 1852) - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- flavisquamatus (J. Verreaux & E. Verreaux, 1855) - S Cameroon E to Uganda, S to N Angola and S Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A back view of an adult
Locality Ghana (ssp scolopaceus )
Lars Petersson 27 January 2013 6 weeks ago 4.4
Bird on a tree
Locality Kribi, South Province, Cameroon (ssp flavisquamatus)
Bernard Guevorts 2 March 2014 1 week ago ADDED LAST MONTH 4
Locality Kibale National Park, Uganda (ssp flavisquamatus)
Nik Borrow 10 June 2013 25 weeks ago 4
Lateral view of male on a branch
Locality Mbaminkom Mountain, Centre Province, Cameroon (ssp flavisquamatus)
Mikko Pyhälä 16 February 2012 1 year ago 2.7
A bird perched on a bush
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp scolopaceus)
Arthur Grosset 26 May 2011 2 years ago 2.6
- No sound recordings available yet