Short-tailed Parrotbill (Paradoxornis davidianus) - HBW 12, p. 318
French: Paradoxornis de David
Spanish: Picoloro de David
Other common names: David’s Parrotbill/Crowtit
Taxonomy: Suthora davidiana Slater, 1897, Guadun, north Fujian, China.
Sometimes placed in a separate genus, Neosuthora. Racial identity of birds in extreme N Laos and extreme NW part of W Tonkin (N Vietnam) uncertain, but they are presumed to belong with thompsoni; likewise, birds in N (extreme E part) & C (NE part) Laos and neighbouring Vietnam (N Annam) are presumed to belong with tonkinensis. Individuals of this species found in S Hunan and N Guangdong (SE China) are of unspecified race; further study required. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- thompsoni (Bingham, 1903) - S part of E Myanmar, NW & extreme N Laos, extreme NW Vietnam (extreme NW Tonkin) and SE part of NW & adjacent NE Thailand.
- tonkinensis (Delacour, 1927) - NE & NC Laos and adjacent NC Vietnam (N Annam and E Tonkin).
- davidianus (Slater, 1897) - S Zhejiang and N Fujian, in E China.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet