Scaled Pigeon (Columba speciosa) - HBW 4, p. 122
French: Pigeon ramiret
Spanish: Paloma Escamosa
Other common names: Dominick/Fair/Red-backed/Scallop-necked/Scab-necked/Splendid/Speckle-neck Pigeon
Taxonomy: Columba speciosa J. F. Gmelin, 1789, Cayenne.
Appears to be related to C. leucocephala and C. squamosa, which exhibit some plumage similarities. Monotypic.
Distribution: S Mexico (Oaxaca and Veracruz) S through Central and N South America to E Peru, N & E Bolivia and S Brazil (Santa Catarina); also Trinidad.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 14 videos
- 4.4 A bird in a tr... Bolivia, Aug 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.3 A bird feeding Bolivia, Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A bird eating ... Brazil, Jul 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 in the canopy Peru, Dec 2012 Daniêl Jimenez
- 3.5 A side view of... Bolivia, Aug 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.5 An individual ... Brazil, Jul 2011 Josep del Hoyo
PhotosSee all 13 photos
- 4.3 A male eating ... Bolivia, Sep 2005 Joe Tobias
- 4 A male perched... Bolivia, Sep 2005 Joe Tobias
- 3.8 A bird perched... Costa Rica, Aug 2011 manuel retana
- 3.8 A female perch... Bolivia, Sep 2005 Joe Tobias
- 3.7 Adult male on ... Trinidad a..., Jun 2009 nigel lallsingh
- 3.5 Bird on a bran... Peru, Aug 2010 Josef Widmer
- No sound recordings available yet