Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) - HBW 9, p. 374
French: Moucherolle à ventre roux
Spanish: Mosquero Llanero
Taxonomy: Muscicapa saya Bonaparte, 1825, Arkansaw River, near Pueblo, Colorado, USA.
Taxonomy yet to be fully resolved, and analysis confounded by problems of wear and fading in museum specimens. Geographical variation in colour weak, perhaps clinal, with paler coloration in arid environments. Birds from Alaska and NW Canada described as race yukonensis and those of Mexican Plateau as pallida; both merged with nominate, although further research may indicate that one or both should be upheld. Two subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- saya (Bonaparte, 1825) - N Alaska S through W & WC USA to C Mexico; winters from S USA (California E to Texas) S to C & S Mexico.
- quiescens Grinnell, 1926 - NW Mexico (N Baja California and Cedros I).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.5 Say's Pho... USA (Unite..., Dec 2011 Alex Woodruff
- 4.5 Perched adult USA (Unite..., Dec 2009 auf
- 4.3 Say's Pho... USA (Unite..., May 2012 Ethan Winning
- 4 Say's Pho... USA (Unite..., Oct 2010 Alex Woodruff
- 4 Perched on bar... USA (Unite..., Apr 2012 Ken Simonite
- 3.8 Bird hovering ... USA (Unite..., Nov 2011 Ian Barker
- 3.6 Perched on tan... USA (Unite..., Nov 2011 Ian Barker
- 3.5 Frontal view o... USA (Unite..., Dec 2010 Justin Watts
- 3.4 Profile view o... USA (Unite..., Dec 2010 Justin Watts
- 3.4 Say's Pho... USA (Unite..., Feb 2011 Alex Woodruff
- 3.4 Perched on a r... USA (Unite..., Nov 2011 Ian Barker
- 3 Say's Pho... USA (Unite..., Oct 2011 Alex Woodruff
- 2.5 Adult bird sun... USA (Unite..., Nov 2005 Paul A. Davis