Rusty-margined Flycatcher (Myiozetetes cayanensis) - HBW 9, p. 406
French: Tyran de Cayenne
Spanish: Bienteveo Alicastaño
Taxonomy: [Muscicapa] cayanensis Linnaeus, 1766, Cayenne.
Morphological and behavioural evidence suggests genus most closely related to Legatus; nesting behaviour links with Pitangus. Molecular data indicate strong support for a clade consisting of present species and M. similis as sister-group to one formed by M. granadensis and M. luteiventris. South American races require closer scrutinty; birds from E Panama described as additional race, harterti, on basis of smaller size, but subsequently considered inseparable from hellmayri. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- hellmayri Hartert & Goodson, 1917 - E Panama (E from Canal Zone), tropical N & W Colombia (W of E Andes), W Venezuela (Maracaibo Basin, and W slope of Andes from W Lara S to Táchira) and W Ecuador (S to El Oro and W Loja).
- rufipennis Lawrence, 1869 - N Venezuela (N of R Orinoco), E Colombia E of E Andes (Norte de Santander S to W Caquetá and Vaupés) and E Ecuador.
- cayanensis (Linnaeus, 1766) - S Venezuela (Amazonas, Bolívar, Delta Amacuro), the Guianas, N & C Brazil (R Negro E to Maranhão and Piauí, S to E Acre, Rondônia, Mato Grosso, Goiás and W Minas Gerais), SE Peru (Madre de Dios) and N Boliva (S to Cochabamba and N Santa Cruz).
- erythropterus (Lafresnaye, 1853) - SE Brazil (S & E Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 29 videos
An individual changing perch alert and whistling an alarm call. Locality Fazenda Javaes, Pium, Tocantins State, Brazil (ssp cayanensis)
Josep del Hoyo 5 August 2011 2 years ago 23 sec 4.5
A perched bird, looking out for potential prey. Locality Nieuw-Amsterdam, Commewijne District, Suriname (ssp cayanensis)
Pieter de Groot Boersma 20 February 2011 3 years ago 26 sec 4.5
A bird in its perch Locality Gamboa, Panama Province, Panama
Juan Sanabria 1 November 2010 3 years ago 31 sec 4.5
A bird calling Locality Curicaca Wildlife Refuge, Pantanal, Mato Grosso State, Brazil (ssp cayanensis)
Alex García · Videoaves 18 July 2008 3 years ago 33 sec 4.4
A bird on the top of a trunck and flying away Locality Arrierito Antioqueño Natural Reserve, Anorí, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp hellmayri)
Josep del Hoyo 11 February 2007 7 years ago 25 sec 4.4
A bird drinking and then flying away by the agression of a Saffron Finch female Locality Girardot, Cundinamarca Department, Colombia
Pere Sugranyes 7 July 2011 3 years ago 39 sec 4.2
PhotosSee all 32 photos
Locality Cayenne, French Guiana (ssp cayanensis)
Patrick Ingremeau 3 February 2009 4 years ago 4.3
Lateral view of foraging adult.
Locality Caracas, Distrito Capital, Venezuela (ssp rufipennis)
philgunson 16 August 2008 5 years ago 4.3
A pair resting on a branch
Locality Izcaragua Country Club, Guarenas, Miranda State, Venezuela
Luis R Figueroa 14 December 2013 1 year ago 4.2
Bird on the ground.
Locality Pereira, Risaralda Department, Colombia
Daniel Avendaño 23 April 2013 1 year ago 4.2
This bird was perched on branch of a small tree.
Locality Panama City, Panama Province, Panama (ssp hellmayri)
Dannie Polley 25 October 2010 4 years ago 4.1
Juvenile perched on a trunk.
Locality Río Canandé, Esmeraldas Province, Ecuador (ssp hellmayri)
Dusan M. Brinkhuizen 2 October 2014 5 weeks ago 4
Song by one individual. Locality Fazenda Praia Alta, Tocantins State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 4 August 2011 2 years ago 4
Alarm whistles by one bird. Locality Fazenda Javaes, Pium, Tocantins State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 5 August 2011 2 years ago 3.7
Calls from a bird at river's edge. Locality Pousada Rio Azul, Pará State, Brazil
Bradley Davis 17 May 2008 5 years ago 2.5