Rufous-winged Antwren (Herpsilochmus rufimarginatus) - HBW 8, p. 608
French: Grisin à ailes rousses
Spanish: Tiluchí Alirrufo
Taxonomy: Myiothera rufimarginata Temminck, 1822, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Relationships with other members of genus unclear. Differences in morphology and vocalizations suggest that more than one species may be involved; re-examination required. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- exiguus Nelson, 1912 - E Panama (Darién), NW Colombia (Córdoba, Bolívar) and W Ecuador (Esmeraldas, Los Ríos).
- frater P. L. Sclater & Salvin, 1880 - N & S Colombia (base of Andes in La Guajira, Boyacá, Meta, Putumayo) S to E Peru and N Bolivia (Pando and La Paz E to Santa Cruz), also N & S Venezuela (Zulia E to Monagas, and Bolívar and N Amazonas), extreme S Guyana, and extreme N and SC Amazonian Brazil (N Roraima, and from S Pará and W Maranhão SW to Rondônia and N Mato Grosso).
- scapularis (Wied, 1831) - E Brazil (coastal Paraíba S to Alagoas, and in E Bahia, E Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo).
- rufimarginatus (Temminck, 1822) - E Paraguay (E of R Paraguay), extreme NE Argentina (Misiones) and SE Brazil (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Paraná, NE Santa Catarina).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A female looking aroung on a branch Locality Cumboto, Henri Pittier National Park, Aragua State, Venezuela (ssp frater)
DAVID ASCANIO 30 November 2003 4 years ago 5 sec 3.2
A male in a tree, singing and foraging. Locality Murici Reserve, Alagoas State, Brazil (ssp scapularis)
Josep del Hoyo 10 October 2008 4 years ago 32 sec 2.4
A bird jumping from branch to branch and calling Locality Trilla Seca Trail, Fazenda Capricornio, Ubatuba, São Paulo State, Brazil (ssp scapularis)
Garry George 31 August 2001 5 years ago 18 sec 2.1
A blurry shot of a female foraging at mid-level in woodland.
Locality Morrocoy National Park, Falcón State, Venezuela (ssp frater)
philgunson 25 June 2009 3 years ago 1.5
Bird singing in Atlantic Rainforest. Locality Cantareira State park, Guarulhos, São Paulo State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 30 October 2004 44 weeks ago 4
A bird singing from a tree. Locality Floresta Nacional de Carajás, Pará State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 8 August 2011 1 year ago 3.7
A bird singing from the canopy. Locality Cristalino Jungle Lodge, Mato Grosso State, Brazil
Bradley Davis 31 March 2004 3 years ago 0