Rufous-chested Tanager (Thlypopsis ornata) - HBW 16, p. 171
French: Tangara à flancs roux
Spanish: Tangara Pechicanela
Other common names: Fulvous-chested Tanager
Taxonomy: Nemosia ornata P. L. Sclater, 1859, Pallatanga, Ecuador.
May form a superspecies with T. pectoralis, and the two have been considered conspecific. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ornata (P. L. Sclater, 1859) - W slope of C Andes in Colombia (from Puracé, in Cauca) S locally in Ecuador (both slopes, and locally on slopes above C valley).
- media J. T. Zimmer, 1930 - E slope of Andes in extreme S Ecuador (Morona-Santiago and Zamora-Chinchipe; also specimen from E Carachi) and Peru (S on W slope to Lima; locally E slope from Cajamarca S to Marañón Valley).
- macropteryx Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1896 - E slope of Andes in Peru (Junín; isolated records S to Cuzco).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
one bird perched high and open in a bush Locality Santa Eulalia Valley, Lima Department, Peru
Wim ten Have 30 April 2011 36 weeks ago 22 sec 4.4
A immature bird forages through a tree. Locality Comas, Junín Department, Peru (ssp macropteryx)
Yoel Jimenez 8 November 2012 37 weeks ago 37 sec 3.9
First an immature bird eating an caterpillar, later a adult bird foraging though a bush. Locality Satipo Road, Junín Department, Peru (ssp macropteryx))
Yoel Jimenez 10 November 2012 37 weeks ago 27 sec 3.6
bird foraging Locality Abra Patricia, San Martín Department, Peru (ssp media)
Daniêl Jimenez 28 November 2012 29 weeks ago 35 sec 3.6
- No sound recordings available yet