Rosy-breasted Longclaw (Macronyx ameliae) - HBW 9, p. 774
French: Sentinelle à gorge rose
Spanish: Bisbita Gorgirrosa
Other common names: Pink-throated/Rosy-throated Longclaw
Taxonomy: Macronyx ameliae de Tarragon, 1845, Durban, South Africa.
Genus probably closely related to Tmetothylacus and Hemimacronyx. May form a superspecies with M. aurantiigula. Validity of geographical races doubted by some authors, who prefer to treat species as monotypic. Three subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- wintoni Sharpe, 1891 - C & SW Kenya (C highlands, L Victoria basin, and Masai Mara) and N Tanzania (S to Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, E to L Manyara and Ardai and Sanya Plains).
- altanus Clancey, 1966 - E & S Angola (E plateau), SE DRCongo and extreme SW Tanzania S to NE Namibia, N Botswana (Okavango Delta, Linyanti Swamp and Chobe floodplain), extreme NW Mozambique and extreme N & C Malawi (R Songwe mouth, and Lilongwe area); also on highveld of NE & C Zimbabwe.
- ameliae de Tarragon, 1845 - coastal S Mozambique and NE South Africa (KwaZulu-Natal coast S to L St Lucia).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A male preening, scratching and walking away Locality Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Game Reserve, KwaZulu Natal Province, South Africa (ssp ameliae)
Christian Boix Hinzen 13 July 2006 5 years ago 1 min 9 sec 3.1
Distant view of a male on the ground Locality Amboseli National Park, Kenya
ANTHONY VILLAUME 4 April 2013 46 weeks ago 18 sec 3
- No sound recordings available yet