Red-tufted Sunbird (Nectarinia johnstoni) - HBW 13, p. 272
French: Souimanga de Johnston
Spanish: Suimanga de Johnston
Other common names: Red-tufted Malachite Sunbird, Scarlet-tufted (Malachite) Sunbird, Long-tailed Sunbird
Taxonomy: Nectarinia johnstoni Shelley, 1885, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
Possibly forms a superspecies with N. famosa. Race nyikensis formerly known as salvadorii, but latter name invalid, as preoccupied. Proposed race idia (described from Mt Kenya) treated as synonym of nominate. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- dartmouthi Ogilvie-Grant, 1906 - E DRCongo, SW Uganda and W Rwanda.
- itombwensis Prigogine, 1977 - Itombwe Mts (at 2350-3100 m), in E DRCongo.
- johnstoni Shelley, 1885 - highlands of C Kenya and N Tanzania.
- nyikensis Delacour, 1944 - highlands in S Tanzania, NE Zambia and N Malawi.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No sound recordings available yet