Red-pate Cisticola (Cisticola ruficeps) - HBW 11, p. 455
French: Cisticole à tête rousse
Spanish: Cistícola Cabecirrojo
Other common names: Mongalla Cisticola (mongalla)
Taxonomy: Malurus ruficeps Cretzschmar, 1830, Kordofan, Sudan.
Forms a superspecies with C. guinea; formerly treated as conspecific, but differs in vocalizations, plumage (especially non-breeding) and habitat preferences. When the form now known as “C.guinea” was initially split from present species, confusion regarding its identity led to its being associated with race mongalla, with the result that the newly split species was mistakenly named “C. mongalla”. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ruficeps (Cretzschmar, 1830) - NE Nigeria, N Cameroon, Chad and SW Sudan.
- scotoptera (Sundevall, 1850) - C & SE Sudan and NW Eritrea.
- mongalla Lynes, 1930 - S Sudan and N Uganda.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet