Red-fronted Warbler (Urorhipis rufifrons) - HBW 11, p. 489
French: Apalis à front roux
Spanish: Prinia Frentirroja
Other common names: (African) Red-faced Apalis
Taxonomy: Prinia rufifrons Rüppell, 1840, Eritrea.
Affinities uncertain; often placed in genus Apalis or Spiloptila, but exhibits significant differences from both. Considered best placed in its own, monotypic genus, pending further study. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- rufifrons (Rüppell, 1840) - E Chad, W & E Sudan, Eritrea, NE Ethiopia, Djibouti and NW Somalia.
- smithi (Sharpe, 1895) - SE Sudan, S Ethiopia, Somalia (except NW), extreme NE Uganda, Kenya and N Tanzania.
- rufidorsalis (Sharpe, 1897) - Tsavo, in SE Kenya.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
Singing in a bush with tail cocked up.
Locality Lake Baringo, Kenya (ssp smithi)
Nick Athanas 4 September 2012 3 years ago 4.1
Bird perched on a bush
Locality Magadi Road, Kenya (ssp rufidorsalis)
James Kashangaki 24 May 2015 35 weeks ago 4
A perched bird
Locality Lake Baringo, Kenya
Paul van Giersbergen 13 December 2012 12 weeks ago 3.3
Locality Samburu-Buffalo Springs National Reserves, Kenya (ssp smithi)
Nik Borrow 6 November 2008 6 years ago 2.5
- No sound recordings available yet