Red-faced Crimsonwing (Cryptospiza reichenovii) - HBW 15, p. 312
French: Astrild de Reichenow
Spanish: Estrilda de Reichenow
Other common names: Nyasa/Reichenow's Crimsonwing
Taxonomy: Pytelia reichenovii Hartlaub, 1874, Bondongo, Cameroon.
Thought to form a superspecies with C. salvadorii. Proposed race homogenes, described from E Zimbabwe (Stapleford Forest Reserve, in Umtali district), treated as a synonym of australis. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- reichenovii ( Hartlaub, 1874) - SE Nigeria (Obudu Plateau), W Cameroon, Bioko I (Fernando Póo) and NW Angola (Gabela region).
- ocularis Sharpe, 1902 - mountains of Albertine Rift in E DRCongo, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi.
- australis Shelley, 1896 - mountains in Tanzania, E Zambia, Malawi, W Mozambique and E Zimbabwe.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
A bird sitting on a branch
Locality San Diego Zoo, San Diego, San Diego County, California, USA (United States)
Johannes Pfleiderer 12 August 2008 5 years ago 4
An adult bird on a branch.
Locality Tierpark Hagenbeck, Hamburg, Germany
Tomasz Doroń 4 June 2012 1 year ago 3.3
Adult in hand.
Locality Amani, Tanzania
John Innes 28 July 1977 2 years ago 3.3
Adult; one of a small party found feeding along a forest trail.
Locality Mazumbi, West Usambara, Usambara Mountains, Tanzania
M P Goodey 1 January 2009 3 years ago 2.5
- No sound recordings available yet