Red-eyed Thornbird (Phacellodomus erythrophthalmus) - HBW 8, p. 315
French: Synallaxe aux yeux rouges
Spanish: Espinero Ojirrojo
Taxonomy: Anabates erythrophthalmus Wied, 1821, Rio Catolé, Bahia, Brazil.
Formerly placed in a monotypic genus Drioctistes. Distinctive; differs from congeners in terms of plumage and voice. Race ferrugineigula almost certainly a separate species; very recently reported as co-occurring with nominate in São Paulo. Two subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- erythrophthalmus (Wied, 1821) - SE Brazil, from S Bahia S to NE São Paulo.
- ferrugineigula (Pelzeln, 1858) - S Minas Gerais and S Rio de Janeiro to S Rio Grande do Sul, in SE Brazil.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 13 videos
- 4.4 A bird in a bu... Brazil, Jan 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.1 A bird moving ... Brazil, Jun 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 An adult bird ... Brazil, Sep 2011 Carlos Gussoni
- 4 Two adult bird... Brazil, Sep 2011 Carlos Gussoni
- 3.9 A bird moving ... Brazil, Sep 2005 Keith Blomerley
- 3.8 bird building ... Brazil, Oct 2009 Keith and Lynn Youngs