Red-chested Flufftail (Sarothrura rufa) - HBW 3, p. 144
French: Râle à camail
Spanish: Polluela Rufa
Taxonomy: Rallus rufus Vieillot, 1819, Cape Province.
Genus sometimes merged into Coturnicops. Race ansorgei proposed for birds of Angola. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- bonapartii (Bonaparte, 1856) - scattered records from Sierra Leone E to Nigeria; more continuously in Cameroon, Gabon and Congo.
- elizabethae van Someren, 1919 - Ethiopia; Central African Republic and NE Zaire E to Uganda and W Kenya.
- rufa (Vieillot, 1819) - C Kenya through Tanzania, S Zaire and Angola to South Africa.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
male (!) crossing a narrow track in grassy swamp (and again in slow motion - no better!) - you had to be there....... Locality Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda (ssp elizabethae)
Martin Kennewell 3 June 2004 2 years ago 15 sec 1.6
- No sound recordings available yet