Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu (Uraeginthus bengalus) - HBW 15, p. 327
French: Cordonbleu à joues rouges
Spanish: Azulito Carirrojo
Other common names: Crimson-cheeked/Red-cheeked Blue Waxbill, Cordon-bleu
Taxonomy: Fringilla bengalus Linnaeus, 1766, Senegal.
Occasionally hybridizes with U. angolensis in S Tanzania (Songea, Mikindani). Proposed race littoralis (described from Mombasa, in Kenya) treated as a synonym of brunneigularis. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- bengalus ( Linnaeus, 1766) - S Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Ghana E to S Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia, S to W Cameroon, Central African Republic, NE DRCongo, Rwanda and Kenya (W of Rift Valley, S to L Victoria).
- brunneigularis Mearns, 1911 - S Somalia and Kenya (from L Baringo E to coast) S to NE Tanzania (S to North Pare Mts and Tanga).
- ugogensis Reichenow, 1911 - S Kenya (Mara) and Tanzania (from Serengeti and Mt Kilimanjaro S to Rukwa, Usanga Flats and Iringa).
- katangae Vincent, 1934 - S & SE DRCongo (S Kasai, Katanga), NE Angola and N Zambia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 30 videos
A female drinking in a puddle. Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp bengalus)
Josep del Hoyo 30 November 2005 7 years ago 25 sec 4.7
A male feeding on the ground Locality Atlantic Hotel, Banjul, The Gambia (ssp bengalus)
Dave Jackson 18 November 2006 5 years ago 18 sec 4.7
A close view of a perched male in an acacia tree. Locality Kololi, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp bengalus)
Pieter de Groot Boersma 1 November 2008 4 years ago 43 sec 4.5
Several females feeding on the ground where grains are milled. Locality Afar Plains, Afar Region, Ethiopia (ssp bengalus)
Josep del Hoyo 27 November 2005 7 years ago 40 sec 4.5
A female in bushes, rubbing the bill several times Locality Naro Moru River Lodge, Mount Kenya National Park, Kenya (ssp brunneigularis)
Josep del Hoyo 15 August 2000 6 years ago 35 sec 4.5
A male and two females feeding on the ground Locality Paraa village, Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda (ssp bengalus)
Josep del Hoyo 28 August 2006 6 years ago 32 sec 4.4
PhotosSee all 35 photos
Locality Mombasa, Kenya (ssp brunneigularis)
Kevin B Agar 12 February 2011 1 year ago 4.7
Perched in a tree
Locality Bahir Dar, Amhara Region, Ethiopia
John A Thompson 1 year ago 4.3
a male in a bush
Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp bengalus)
Stefan Helming 11 November 2009 3 years ago 4.3
A female in a tree.
mohammmmad alamin khogaly... 5 days ago ADDED LAST WEEK 4.2
mohammmmad alamin khogaly... 6 weeks ago 4
Locality Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Marco Valentini 27 December 2012 18 weeks ago 4
- No sound recordings available yet