Piping Hornbill (Bycanistes fistulator) - HBW 6, p. 519
French: Calao siffleur
Spanish: Cálao Silbador
Other common names: Laughing/Whistling/White-tailed Hornbill
Taxonomy: Buceros Fistulator Cassin, 1850, St Paul’s River, Liberia.
Genus sometimes merged with Ceratogymna. Race sharpii intergrades with nominate along R Niger, and with duboisi in E Cameroon. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- fistulator (Cassin, 1850) - Senegal E to W Nigeria (E to R Niger).
- sharpii (Elliot, 1873) - R Niger E to S Chad, S to NW Angola and W Zaire.
- duboisi W. L. Sclater, 1922 - Central African Republic and Congo Basin E to S Sudan and W Uganda, S to SC & E Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
bird preening Locality Semliki National Park, Uganda (ssp duboisi)
Daniêl Jimenez 26 September 2010 2 years ago 49 sec 3.6
Two birds preening in a tree Locality Semliki National Park, Uganda (ssp duboisi)
Keith Blomerley 12 August 2002 6 years ago 19 sec 3.5
A bird preening in a tree, joined by another Locality Semliki National Park, Uganda (ssp duboisi)
Keith Blomerley 12 August 2002 6 years ago 28 sec 3.5
2 perched piping Hornbill
Locality South Province, Cameroon
Bernard Guevorts 20 August 2012 33 weeks ago 3
A bird sitting on the branch.
Locality Parrot Park (NOP), Veldhoven, North Brabant Province, Netherlands (ssp fistulator)
Tomasz Doroń 12 December 2011 1 year ago 3
A perched adult bird.
Locality Parrot Park (NOP), Veldhoven, North Brabant Province, Netherlands (ssp sharpii)
Tomasz Doroń 26 June 2009 3 years ago 3
- No sound recordings available yet