Pel's Fishing-owl (Scotopelia peli) - HBW 5, p. 195
French: Chouette-pêcheuse de Pel
Spanish: Cárabo Pescador Común
Other common names: African Fishing-owl/Fish-owl
Taxonomy: Strix peli Bonaparte, 1850, Ashanti, Ghana.
Relationships of genus uncertain. Monotypic.
Distribution: Locally from Senegambia E to Benin, and from Nigeria S across Congo Basin and C Africa to Botswana, Mozambique and NE South Africa; also SE Sudan, Ethiopia, S Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania; status in S Mali, Burkina Faso and S Niger unclear.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 15 photos
- 4.7 A perched bird Botswana, Feb 2014 Krzysztof Blachowiak
- 4.5 adult at day r... Malawi, Nov 2013 Nik Borrow
- 4.5 Adult perched Cameroon, Mar 2012 Markus Lilje
- 4.4 Bird perched o... Botswana, Feb 2014 Tadeusz Rosinski
- 4.2 Bird perched. Botswana, Sep 2011 Adam Riley
- 4.1 A bird at day ... Cameroon, Mar 2012 Lars Petersson
- No sound recordings available yet