Papuan Spinetail (Mearnsia novaeguineae) - HBW 5, p. 437
French: Martinet papou
Spanish: Vencejo Papú
Other common names: Papuan/New Guinea Spinetail/Spinetailed Swift/Needletail, Grey-bellied Needletail
Taxonomy: Chaetura novaeguineae D’Albertis and Salvadori, 1879, Fly River, New Guinea.
Previously placed in Chaetura, and earlier in monospecific genus Papuanapus. Proposed race mamberana, known from mouth of Mamberano R, nowadays included in buergersi. Two subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- buergersi (Reichenow, 1917) - N New Guinea.
- novaeguineae (D’Albertis & Salvadori, 1879) - S & SE New Guinea.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No photographs available yet
- No sound recordings available yet