Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) - HBW 16, p. 193
French: Tangara des palmiers
Spanish: Tangara Palmera
Other common names: Common Palm Tanager
Taxonomy: Tanagra palmarum Wied, 1821, Canavieras, Bahia, Brazil.
Recent molecular-genetic data do not support monophyly of genus as currently constituted: six (including present species) of eight species sampled embedded with Tangara, a finding that makes genus Tangara paraphyletic. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- atripennis Todd, 1922 - E Nicaragua S to Colombia W of Andes (including Santa Marta region) and NW Venezuela (Maracaibo region).
- violilavata (Berlepsch & Taczanowski, 1884) - SW Colombia (from Cerro Munchique, in Cauca) S through W Ecuador almost to Peruvian border.
- melanoptera (P. L. Sclater, 1857) - E Colombia, Venezuela (except Maracaibo region), including Margarita I and Patos I, Trinidad, Tobago, the Guianas, and N & C Brazil (N of R Amazon and, S of it, from R Tocantins, in E Pará) S to E Ecuador, E Peru, N Bolivia and C Mato Grosso.
- palmarum (Wied, 1821) - E Brazil (E from R Tocantins, S to Mato Grosso, W Paraná, and NE Rio Grande do Sul), E Paraguay (one record in Alto Paraná) and N Argentina (sight records in Misiones and E Formosa).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 56 videos
An adult at the nest, feeding the chicks and removing faecal sacs. Locality Arrierito Antioqueño Natural Reserve, Anorí, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp atripennis)
Josep del Hoyo 11 February 2007 7 years ago 22 sec 4.7
One bird singing, and another one briefly joining it on top of a dead palm leaf. Locality Weg naar Zee, Paramaribo, Paramaribo District, Suriname (ssp melanoptera)
Pieter de Groot Boersma 26 March 2011 3 years ago 30 sec 4.6
A bird eating banana at a feeder Locality Mirador Rio Blanco, Mindo Valley, Pichincha Province, Ecuador (ssp violilavata)
Josep del Hoyo 6 September 2007 6 years ago 26 sec 4.6
A bird at a feeder, eating banana amongst several agressive Sayaca Tanagers Locality Guapi Açu Ecological Reserve (REGUA), Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil (ssp palmarum)
Josep del Hoyo 13 July 2007 7 years ago 52 sec 4.6
An adult feeding a chick at the nest, looking around and flying away Locality Arrierito Antioqueño Natural Reserve, Anorí, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp atripennis)
Josep del Hoyo 11 February 2007 7 years ago 26 sec 4.5
An adult perched, preening and briefly calling Locality Canopy Tower, Soberanía National Park, Panama (ssp atripennis)
Greg Baker 6 November 2013 36 weeks ago 22 sec 4.3
PhotosSee all 78 photos
Locality Mindo, Mindo Valley, Pichincha Province, Ecuador (ssp violilavata)
Dusan M. Brinkhuizen 8 July 2014 20 weeks ago 4.5
Sanhaçu do coqueiro
Locality Itariri, São Paulo State, Brazil
Lindolfo Souto 25 June 2011 2 years ago 4.5
Perched bird in sunlight
Locality Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago (ssp melanoptera)
fayardmohammed 28 January 2011 3 years ago 4.4
Locality Alambi Cloud Forest Lodge, Tandayapa Valley, Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Marco Valentini 10 November 2014 2 weeks ago ADDED LAST MONTH 4.3
Adult eating fruits of Callicarpa reevesii, under light rain
Locality University of São Paulo (USP), São Paulo City, São Paulo State, Brazil (ssp palmarum)
José Carlos Motta-Junior 26 July 2013 1 year ago 4.3
A bird perched on a branch.
Locality Morazán, Pérez Zeledón, San José Province, Costa Rica
manuel retana 19 October 2013 1 year ago 4.3
Two birds singing, responding itself. Locality Iracema Falls, Presidente Figueiredo, Amazonas State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 29 July 2011 2 years ago 3.5
A single bird calling as it flies into a tree, then bursts into brief song. Locality Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Nick Athanas 3 June 2009 5 years ago 3