Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) - HBW 16, p. 193
French: Tangara des palmiers
Spanish: Tangara Palmera
Other common names: Common Palm Tanager
Taxonomy: Tanagra palmarum Wied, 1821, Canavieras, Bahia, Brazil.
Recent molecular-genetic data do not support monophyly of genus as currently constituted: six (including present species) of eight species sampled embedded with Tangara, a finding that makes genus Tangara paraphyletic. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- atripennis Todd, 1922 - E Nicaragua S to Colombia W of Andes (including Santa Marta region) and NW Venezuela (Maracaibo region).
- violilavata (Berlepsch & Taczanowski, 1884) - SW Colombia (from Cerro Munchique, in Cauca) S through W Ecuador almost to Peruvian border.
- melanoptera (P. L. Sclater, 1857) - E Colombia, Venezuela (except Maracaibo region), including Margarita I and Patos I, Trinidad, Tobago, the Guianas, and N & C Brazil (N of R Amazon and, S of it, from R Tocantins, in E Pará) S to E Ecuador, E Peru, N Bolivia and C Mato Grosso.
- palmarum (Wied, 1821) - E Brazil (E from R Tocantins, S to Mato Grosso, W Paraná, and NE Rio Grande do Sul), E Paraguay (one record in Alto Paraná) and N Argentina (sight records in Misiones and E Formosa).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 67 videos
A bird perched on a wire, singing while carrying nesting material. Locality Yatacué Camp, Farallones de Cali National Park, Valle del Cauca Department, Colombia (ssp atripennis)
Josep del Hoyo 17 February 2015 1 week ago ADDED LAST MONTH 21 sec 5
An adult at the nest, feeding the chicks and removing faecal sacs. Locality Arrierito Antioqueño Natural Reserve, Anorí, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp atripennis)
Josep del Hoyo 11 February 2007 9 years ago 22 sec 4.8
A bird trying to pull out a bit of an epiphytic bromelia. Locality San Miguel, Santiago de Cali, Valle del Cauca Department, Colombia
Pere Sugranyes 17 October 2014 32 weeks ago 20 sec 4.7
An adult feeding a chick at the nest, looking around and flying away Locality Arrierito Antioqueño Natural Reserve, Anorí, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp atripennis)
Josep del Hoyo 11 February 2007 8 years ago 26 sec 4.6
One bird singing, and another one briefly joining it on top of a dead palm leaf. Locality Weg naar Zee, Paramaribo, Paramaribo District, Suriname (ssp melanoptera)
Pieter de Groot Boersma 26 March 2011 4 years ago 30 sec 4.6
A bird eating banana at a feeder Locality Mirador Rio Blanco, Mindo Valley, Pichincha Province, Ecuador (ssp violilavata)
Josep del Hoyo 6 September 2007 8 years ago 26 sec 4.6
PhotosSee all 110 photos
A bird sitting on a banana leaf
Locality Jaw Jaw, Sipaliwini District, Suriname
Paul van Giersbergen 20 September 2014 1 year ago 4.8
Locality Alajuela Province, Costa Rica (ssp atripennis)
Josef Widmer 23 December 2014 1 year ago 4.6
An adult bird with a insect.
Locality Manaus, Amazonas State, Brazil
Anselmo d Affonseca 8 December 2014 1 year ago 4.6
Sanhaçu do coqueiro
Locality Itariri, São Paulo State, Brazil
Lindolfo Souto 25 June 2011 4 years ago 4.5
Perched bird in sunlight
Locality Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago (ssp melanoptera)
fayardmohammed 28 January 2011 5 years ago 4.5
Locality Santa Marta, Magdalena Department, Colombia (ssp melanoptera)
Horacio Luna 19 February 2016 7 weeks ago 4.3
Two birds singing, responding itself. Locality Iracema Falls, Presidente Figueiredo, Amazonas State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 29 July 2011 4 years ago 3.5
A single bird calling as it flies into a tree, then bursts into brief song. Locality Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Nick Athanas 3 June 2009 6 years ago 3
A bird singing in the morning at the top of a Palm tree. Locality Saül, French Guiana
Patrick Ingremeau 24 February 2015 1 year ago 0