Pale-breasted Illadopsis (Illadopsis rufipennis) - HBW 12, p. 188
French: Akalat à poitrine blanche
Spanish: Tordina Pechipálida
Other common names: Pale-breasted Thrush-babbler, White-breasted Akalat/Illadopsis
Taxonomy: Trichastoma rufipennis Sharpe, 1872, Gabon.
Was formerly often placed in genus Malacocincla or in Trichastoma. Has been thought to form a superspecies with I. pyrrhoptera, normally occurring at lower altitudes than latter in areas of sympatry in E of range. Race distans, differing from others in song and proportions, may represent a separate species. Birds from Pugu Hills (and Kazimzumbwi Forest Reserve), in Tanzania, sometimes separated as race puguensis, but considered better treated as part of distans. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- extrema (Bates, 1930) - Sierra Leone E to Ghana.
- rufipennis (Sharpe, 1872) - S Nigeria E to Uganda, W & SW Kenya and extreme NW Tanzania, S to NW Angola and C DRCongo.
- bocagei (Salvadori, 1903) - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- distans (Friedmann, 1928) - NE Tanzania, including Zanzibar.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet