Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) - HBW 2, p. 51
French: Balbuzard pêcheur
Spanish: Aguila Pescadora
Other common names: Fish Hawk
Taxonomy: Falco Haliaetus Linnaeus, 1758, Europe = Sweden.
Sometimes included within family Accipitridae, but usually in its own subfamily, Pandioninae. Race melvillensis often applied to birds from Indonesia to N Australia, but probably not valid; similar to cristatus. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- haliaetus (Linnaeus, 1758) - Scandinavia E to Japan and S to Mediterranean, Red Sea and Cape Verde Is; winters S to S Africa, India, W Indonesia and Philippines.
- carolinensis (Gmelin, 1788) - Labrador W to Alaska and S to Florida and Arizona; winters S to Peru and S Brazil.
- ridgwayi Maynard, 1887 - Caribbean, including Bahamas, Cuba and Belize.
- cristatus (Vieillot, 1816) - Australia E to New Caledonia, and N through New Guinea to Java and Sulawesi.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 85 videos
- 4.9 Adult catch fi... Finland, Jul 2007 Per Johan
- 4.8 Adult display ... Finland, Jul 2007 Per Johan
- 4.6 A frontal view... USA (Unite..., Oct 2009 Don DesJardin
- 4.6 Female Osprey ... Canada, Jul 2012 Sean McCann
- 4.6 Two birds on a... Germany, Apr 2013 Christian Wiesmann
- 4.5 A pair on thei... USA (Unite..., Jun 2013 Pieter de Groot Boersma
PhotosSee all 190 photos
Calls by three young birds close to the nest. Locality Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
Josep del Hoyo 13 August 2012 1 year ago 4
Click to play
An adult singing on a tree branch. Un adulto vocaliza posado sobre una rama. Locality Caonillas Lake, Utuado, Puerto Rico
J. Gonzalez y F. Collazo 20 November 2005 3 years ago 4
A juvenile perching on top of a pole and calling. Locality Tweed Heads, New South Wales, Australia
Nick Talbot 23 April 2006 9 weeks ago 0