Oasis Hummingbird (Rhodopis vesper) - HBW 5, p. 665
French: Colibri vesper
Spanish: Colibrí del Atacama
Taxonomy: Ornismya vesper Lesson, 1829, probably near Tarapacá, Chile (but possibly western Peru).
Closely related to Heliomaster, and sometimes included within that somewhat varied genus. Infraspecific variation very slight, and in need of revision; proposed race tertia (N Peru) tentatively included in nominate, although morphometrically inseparable from atacamensis; species may be better considered monotypic. Three subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- koepckeae Berlioz, 1974 - NW Peru (Cerro Illescas in SW Piura).
- vesper (Lesson, 1829) - most of Peru and extreme N Chile (Tarapacá).
- atacamensis (Leybold, 1869) - N Chile (Atacama).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 12 videos
PhotosSee all 10 photos
- 4.5 on a twig Peru, Dec 2009 Lior Kislev
- 4.3 in flight Peru, Dec 2009 Lior Kislev
- 4 A bird(female)... Peru, Dec 2011 Patricio Mackenzie
- 3.8 A hummingbird ... Chile, Jan 2012 Patricio Mackenzie
- 3.6 A bird with to... Peru, Dec 2011 Patricio Mackenzie
- 3.6 A bird (female... Chile, Jul 2010 Patricio Mackenzie
- No sound recordings available yet