Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 100 videos
- 3.7 A bird feeding... France, May 2011 Alain Beaufils
- 3.6 A male in bree... Spain, May 2008 Carlos Fabregat
- 3.6 A frontal view... Norway, Sep 2013 Eric Roualet
- 3.5 A male drinkin... Saudi Arab..., 1992 Tom Tarrant
- 3.5 A winter pluma... Spain, Nov 2007 Juan Sanabria
- 3.5 An immature or... Norway, Aug 2005 Eric Roualet
PhotosSee all 79 photos
- 3.7 Adult male. Morocco, May 2011 José Luis Copete
- 3.7 A bird on a st... China (Nor..., Nathanael Goldman
- 3.6 a passage migr... Saudi Arab..., Mar 2011 ammadoux
- 3.6 Feeding Germany, oleicfrisbee
- 3.6 Second-calenda... Morocco, May 2011 José Luis Copete
- 3.6 An adult male ... Italy, Apr 2012 raniero massoli-novelli
Alarm calls by a male, close to its nest. Locality Collado de Sahún, Huesca, Aragón, Spain
(ssp libanotica) (Monotypic species)
Josep del Hoyo 8 July 2013 19 weeks ago 4
A female giving alert calls. Locality Valdelinares, Teruel, Aragón, Spain
Carlos Fabregat 9 July 2011 2 years ago 4
A male singing Locality Ayvalik, Balikesir Province, Turkey
Stuart Fisher 3 May 2007 4 years ago 4