Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 91 videos
- 3.5 A male drinkin... Saudi Arab..., 1992 Tom Tarrant
- 3.5 A winter pluma... Spain, Nov 2007 Juan Sanabria
- 3.5 An immature or... Norway, Aug 2005 Eric Roualet
- 3.5 A female carry... Norway, Jun 2007 Eric Roualet
- 3.5 A bird looking... Netherland..., Apr 2011 Daniêl Jimenez
- 3.5 A male on a ro... France, Jun 2011 Eric Roualet