Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 100 videos
- 4 A female on to... Spain, Jul 2013 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 Several shots ... Spain, Jul 2013 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A bird on a ca... Poland, Aug 2013 Jeremiusz Trzaska
- 4 The most strik... Germany, Sep 2012 Natures Garlands
- 3.9 A male on a ro... France, Jun 2006 Julien Rochefort
- 3.9 A juvenile bei... France, Jun 2006 Julien Rochefort
PhotosSee all 78 photos
Alarm calls by a male, close to its nest. Locality Collado de Sahún, Huesca, Aragón, Spain
(ssp libanotica) (Monotypic species)
Josep del Hoyo 8 July 2013 19 weeks ago 4
A female giving alert calls. Locality Valdelinares, Teruel, Aragón, Spain
Carlos Fabregat 9 July 2011 2 years ago 4
A male singing Locality Ayvalik, Balikesir Province, Turkey
Stuart Fisher 3 May 2007 4 years ago 4