Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 100 videos
Female on spring passage Locality Scotland, Great Britain
Kim Tarsey 11 May 2011 2 years ago 1 min 9 sec 4.3
A juvenile in the grass. Locality Mainland, Shetland Islands, Scotland, Great Britain
Jeremiusz Trzaska 11 July 2012 1 year ago 30 sec 4.2
A male on a rock looking around. Locality Bujaraloz, Zaragoza, Aragón, Spain (ssp libanotica)
Jesús Laborda 16 April 2009 4 years ago 41 sec 4.2
A male in winter plumage calling besides a rock. Locality Jemmu Valley, Ethiopia
Josep del Hoyo 25 November 2005 7 years ago 34 sec 4.2
The most striking feature of the Northern Wheatear is its wagging tail. Locality Nordholz, Lower Saxony, Germany
Natures Garlands 13 September 2012 10 weeks ago 25 sec 4
A bird on a cable. Locality Czarny Potok, Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Jeremiusz Trzaska 16 August 2013 14 weeks ago 27 sec 4
PhotosSee all 79 photos
Northern Wheatear in Momsky Mountains
Locality Sakha (Yakutia) Republic, Eastern Russia, Russia
Alexdersu 1 August 2009 1 year ago 4.2
Locality Alichur, Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province, Tadzhikistan (ssp libanotica)
Marco Valentini 28 May 2013 26 weeks ago 4.2
Locality Issyk Kul, Issyk-Kul Province, Kyrgyzstan
Rémi Bigonneau 19 June 2011 2 years ago 4.2
along the road
Locality Robbio, Lombardy Region, Italy
Cristiano Crolle 1 May 2013 32 weeks ago 4.2
a passage migraent
Locality Jeddah, Makkah Province, Saudi Arabia
ammadoux 28 March 2011 2 years ago 4.2
Locality Belén, Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain
Brendan Marnell 26 August 2008 3 years ago 4.2
Alarm calls by a male, close to its nest. Locality Collado de Sahún, Huesca, Aragón, Spain
(ssp libanotica) (Monotypic species)
Josep del Hoyo 8 July 2013 19 weeks ago 4
A female giving alert calls. Locality Valdelinares, Teruel, Aragón, Spain
Carlos Fabregat 9 July 2011 2 years ago 4
A male singing Locality Ayvalik, Balikesir Province, Turkey
Stuart Fisher 3 May 2007 4 years ago 4