Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 102 videos
A female on the stone. Locality Mainland, Shetland Islands, Scotland, Great Britain
Jeremiusz Trzaska 11 July 2012 1 year ago 19 sec 4.8
A juvenile Locality Noss National Nature Reserve, Shetland Islands, Scotland, Great Britain
Pascal Vagner 19 July 2013 31 weeks ago 19 sec 4.6
Frontal, lateral and back view of an adult preening, in autum plumage already in august Locality Cap de Creus, Girona Province, Catalonia, Spain
Ferran Vaquero 22 August 2011 2 years ago 1 min 32 sec 4.6
A male on a rock, preening Locality The Pyrenees, France (ssp oenanthe)
Julien Rochefort 30 June 2006 7 years ago 46 sec 4.6
A juvenile moulting preening Locality Gressholmen Island, Oslo Fjord, Oslo & Akershus, Norway (ssp oenanthe)
Eric Roualet 15 July 2006 3 years ago 41 sec 4.6
A male feeding the chicks on a hole and then perched on a rock, giving alarm calls. Locality Collado de Sahún, Huesca, Aragón, Spain (ssp libanotica)
Josep del Hoyo 8 July 2013 37 weeks ago 40 sec 4.5
PhotosSee all 84 photos
Locality Picardie, France
Didier Collin 19 April 2009 26 weeks ago 4.5
on the ground
Locality Yotvata, Arava Valley, Israel
Lior Kislev 23 March 2011 2 years ago 4.5
Oenanthe oenanthe (male)
Locality Monte Roldán, Cartagena, Murcia, Spain
Conrado Requena Aznar 16 September 2008 4 years ago 4.5
Northern Wheatear with consumption for his kids.
Locality Serock, Masovian Province, Poland
Paweł Wacławik 20 June 2008 1 year ago 4.4
Migrant in the south of Formentera
Locality Formentera, Balearic Islands, Spain
Juan José Bazán Hiraldo 12 April 2013 19 weeks ago 4.4
Bird rests at seashore
Locality Helgoland, Germany
Klaus Lachenmaier 26 September 2013 28 weeks ago 4.4
Alarm calls by a male, close to its nest. Locality Collado de Sahún, Huesca, Aragón, Spain
(ssp libanotica) (Monotypic species)
Josep del Hoyo 8 July 2013 37 weeks ago 4
A female giving alert calls. Locality Valdelinares, Teruel, Aragón, Spain
Carlos Fabregat 9 July 2011 2 years ago 4
A male singing Locality Ayvalik, Balikesir Province, Turkey
Stuart Fisher 3 May 2007 5 years ago 4