Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) - HBW 10, p. 795
French: Traquet motteux
Spanish: Collalba Gris
Other common names: Wheatear; Black-throated/Seebohm’s Wheatear (seebohmi)
Taxonomy: Motacilla oenanthe Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Has in the past been considered conspecific with O. phillipsi. Race seebohmi has been suggested as possibly representing a separate species. Birds in Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroes included in race leucorhoa, but intermediate between that and nominate. Proposed races nivea (S Spain and Balearic Is) and virago (islands of E & S Aegean, in SE Europe) regarded as synonyms of libanotica. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- leucorhoa (J. F. Gmelin, 1789) - NE Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen and Faeroe Is; non-breeding W Africa (mainly Senegal and Sierra Leone E to Mali).
- oenanthe (Linnaeus, 1758) - N & C Europe and N Asia (S to N Kazakhstan and L Baikal) E to E Siberia and NW North America (Alaska, NW Canada); non-breeding N & C Africa.
- libanotica (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1833) - S Europe, Asia Minor, Levant, Transcaucasia, N Iran, Turkmenistan, N Afghanistan, Tien Shan, Mongolia, S Transbaikalia and N China (Xinjiang E to Shanxi); non-breeding N Afrotropics and Mesopotamia.
- seebohmi (Dixon, 1882) - NW Africa; non-breeding W Africa (mainly SW Mauritania and Senegal).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 91 videos
A male on the stone. Locality Mainland, Shetland Islands, Scotland, Great Britain
Jeremiusz Trzaska 11 July 2012 46 weeks ago 19 sec 4.8
Frontal, lateral and back view of an adult preening, in autum plumage already in august Locality Cap de Creus, Girona Province, Catalonia, Spain
Ferran Vaquero 22 August 2011 1 year ago 1 min 32 sec 4.6
A male on a rock, preening Locality The Pyrenees, France (ssp oenanthe)
Julien Rochefort 30 June 2006 6 years ago 46 sec 4.6
A juvenile moulting preening Locality Gressholmen Island, Oslo Fjord, Oslo & Akershus, Norway (ssp oenanthe)
Eric Roualet 15 July 2006 2 years ago 41 sec 4.6
A close up of a bird Locality Santoña Marsh Natural Reserve, Santoña, Cantabria, Spain
Javier Ortas 18 September 2009 3 years ago 31 sec 4.5
A male in breeding plumage alarming near the nest because of a least weasel, then hovering over it Locality Pyasina Delta, Taymyr Peninsula, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Eastern Russia, Russia (ssp oenanthe)
Laurent Demongin 10 July 2008 4 years ago 1 min 3 sec 4.4
PhotosSee all 56 photos
on the ground
Locality Yotvata, Arava Valley, Israel
Lior Kislev 23 March 2011 1 year ago 4.5
Oenanthe oenanthe (male)
Locality Monte Roldán, Cartagena, Murcia, Spain
Conrado Requena Aznar 16 September 2008 3 years ago 4.5
Northern Wheatear, Campo azálvaro, Avila, Spain.
Locality Ávila, Castile and Leon, Spain
juan 27 September 2008 4 years ago 4.4
Northern Wheatear with consumption for his kids.
Locality Serock, Masovian Province, Poland
Paweł Wacławik 20 June 2008 16 weeks ago 4.3
A female on a rock, under last drops of a storm.
Locality Oukaïmeden, Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco (ssp seebohmi)
Fran Trabalon 24 April 2012 1 year ago 4.3
Locality De Biesbosch National Park, Netherlands
Paul Cools 19 April 2012 31 weeks ago 4.3