Northern Slaty Antshrike (Thamnophilus punctatus) - HBW 8, p. 557
French: Batara tacheté
German: Nördlicher Tropfenameisenwürger
Spanish: Batará Pizarroso Punteado
Other common names: Eastern/Guianan Slaty Antshrike; Slaty Antshrike (when merged with others of superspecies); Peruvian Slaty Antshrike (leucogaster)
Taxonomy: Lanius punctatus Shaw, 1809, Cayenne.
Forms a superspecies with T. stictocephalus, T. sticturus, T. pelzelni and T. ambiguus; all formerly considered conspecific, with T. atrinucha traditionally included too (see page 450). Race leucogaster (with huallagae) has sometimes been treated as a separate species. Race huallagae was originally placed with T. amazonicus. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- punctatus (Shaw, 1809) - E & S Venezuela (Amazonas, Bolívar, Sucre, Monagas, Delta Amacuro), the Guianas, and Brazil N of R Amazon and E of R Negro (in NE Amazonas, Roraima, N Pará, Amapá); sight records from extreme E Amazonian Colombia (Guianía, Vaupés) probably this race.
- interpositus Hartert & Goodson, 1917 - E base of Andes in W Venezuela (Táchira, Apure, Barinas) and Colombia (Boyacá, Meta, W Caquetá).
- huallagae Carriker, 1934 - R Huallaga drainage in N Peru (San Martín).
- leucogaster Hellmayr, 1924 - R Marañón drainage in extreme S Ecuador (Zamora-Chinchipe) and N Peru (Amazonas, Cajamarca).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Song Locality Montagne des Chevaux, Roura, French Guiana
Patrick Ingremeau 18 April 2010 2 years ago 4
Around Caura Lodge www.birds-venezuela.de Locality Puerto Ayacucho, Amazonas State, Venezuela
Joe Klaiber 42 weeks ago 3.5
Straight-billed Woodcreeper calling in the back Locality ATTA Rainforest Lodge, Iwokrama Forest Reserve, Guyana
Niels Poul Dreyer 17 January 2012 1 year ago 3.5
Call Locality Juan Guerra, San Martín Department, Peru
herve jacob 20 November 2010 2 years ago 3
Click to play
. Locality Peru
Fabrice Schmitt 7 July 2009 3 years ago 3