Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - HBW 1, p. 577
French: Cygne tuberculé
Spanish: Cisne Vulgar
Taxonomy: Anas Olor Gmelin, 1789, Russia, Sibiria, Persico etiam littore maris Caspii.
Despite its all white plumage, apparently linked more closely to Southern Hemisphere species (C. atratus, C. melanocorypha) than to northern swans. Hybridization with C. atratus recorded in captivity. Monotypic.
Distribution: British Is, C and N Europe E through C Asia to E China. Feral populations in North America, Japan, South Africa, SW Australia and New Zealand.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 78 videos
- 3.8 juvenile preen... Great Brit..., Sep 2011 chrisjohnson
- 3.8 Swan vs Canada... Canada, topolm777
- 3.8 An adult pair ... Spain, May 2012 Ferran Vaquero
- 3.8 A bird on the ... Great Brit..., Jul 2012 Jeremiusz Trzaska
- 3.8 Pair use raise... Great Brit..., Oct 2010 Joe Angseesing
- 3.8 Flock of birds... Ireland, Oct 2006 Doug and Denise Norris
PhotosSee all 201 photos
- 4 Young bird pre... Canada, Jul 2011 Miriam Bauman
- 4 Stretching its... Croatia, Feb 2012 Bojan Bencic
- 4 One male in a ... Croatia, Feb 2012 Bojan Bencic
- 4 immature preen... Liechtenst..., Jul 2011 Fran Trabalon
- 4 Knopsvane Denmark, Jul 2012 Christian Michael Mortensen
- 4 Bird on a lake... Netherland..., May 2010 Antonio Silveira