Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - HBW 1, p. 577
French: Cygne tuberculé
Spanish: Cisne Vulgar
Taxonomy: Anas Olor Gmelin, 1789, Russia, Sibiria, Persico etiam littore maris Caspii.
Despite its all white plumage, apparently linked more closely to Southern Hemisphere species (C. atratus, C. melanocorypha) than to northern swans. Hybridization with C. atratus recorded in captivity. Monotypic.
Distribution: British Is, C and N Europe E through C Asia to E China. Feral populations in North America, Japan, South Africa, SW Australia and New Zealand.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 68 videos
- 3.8 A group flying... USA (Unite..., Nov 2005 Curt Kessler
- 3.8 A close up of ... Netherland..., Feb 2010 Javier Ortas
- 3.8 A male feeding... Spain, Nov 2011 Ferran Vaquero
- 3.8 A young preeni... Ireland, Jun 2012 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 Two chicks fol... Ireland, Jun 2012 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 a close-up off... Netherland..., Mar 2013 Wout van den Brink