Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) - HBW 1, p. 577
French: Cygne tuberculé
Spanish: Cisne Vulgar
Taxonomy: Anas Olor Gmelin, 1789, Russia, Sibiria, Persico etiam littore maris Caspii.
Despite its all white plumage, apparently linked more closely to Southern Hemisphere species (C. atratus, C. melanocorypha) than to northern swans. Hybridization with C. atratus recorded in captivity. Monotypic.
Distribution: British Is, C and N Europe E through C Asia to E China. Feral populations in North America, Japan, South Africa, SW Australia and New Zealand.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 68 videos
- 4 A group of bir... Netherland..., Apr 2011 Yoel Jimenez
- 4 An adult swimm... Ireland, Jun 2012 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A close-up of ... Ireland, Jun 2012 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.9 A pair foraging Austria, May 2006 Malcolm Mark Swan
- 3.9 A pair feeding Belgium, Feb 2000 Leo Janssen
- 3.9 A close-up of ... Netherland..., Nov 2007 Peter van Dam