Moustached Laughingthrush (Ianthocincla cineracea) - HBW 12, p. 251
French: Garrulaxe cendré
Spanish: Charlatán Ceniciento
Other common names: Ashy/Black-capped Laughingthrush
Taxonomy: Trochalopteron cineraceum Godwin-Austen, 1874, no locality = Thobal Valley, Manipur, India.
Genus traditionally subsumed in Garrulax. Race cinereiceps highly distinctive, and possibly a separate species, but intergrades with strenua in S China; study needed in order to determine width and length of zone of intergradation, and hence to decide whether or not species status warranted. Individuals of this species in SC & SW Sichuan have not been assigned to race. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- cineracea ( Godwin-Austen, 1874) - NE India (Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram) and W Myanmar (Chin Hills).
- strenua ( Deignan, 1957) - NE Myanmar and S China (N & W Yunnan).
- cinereiceps ( Styan, 1887) - C & E China from S Gansu E to W Shanghai, NW Fujian and N Guangdong, and N & E Sichuan S to S & SE Yunnan and Guizhou; also, apparently disjunctly, in NW & WC Shanxi.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No sound recordings available yet